Active 2 days ago
Open Answer 12 February 2020
Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Cortana is Microsoft's virtual assistant that comes integrated into Windows 10. If you are facing any issue with Cortana and want it to stop recording and storing your data then below are the few methods to Disable Cortana in Windows 10.
1.Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Through the Registry
In order to Disable Cortana in Windows 10, you have to open the registry editor once you have created a system restore point.
Note: Alternatively, use the Keyboard Shortcut Windows + R.
- Right-click on the Windows icon and click on Run in order to open the command prompt.
- Enter Regedit and press Enter on the keyboard. (If a User Account Control (UAC) window appears, select Yes to proceed.)
- Now go to HKEY_Local_Machine > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
- And then right-click on the windows directory and then click on new > key.
- Create a new folder naming windows search.
- Right-click on the folder you just created in the above step and then click on New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Now double click on the AllowCortana file to open it, and then set the value to 0.
- Click on OK to save it.
- Now close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.
2.Install One-Click Registry Hack
- Go to the downloaded .zip file and then double-click on the “Disable Cortana.reg” file
- Now you have to agree to add the information to your registry.
- Click on “Enable Cortana.reg” file if you would like to undo the change and re-enable Cortana later.
- Now you have to sign out and sign back in again or maybe reboot your computer system before the changes take place.
- These .reg files just change the same registry settings
- If you want to see what it is or any other .reg file will do before you run it, you have to right-click on the file .reg and then on “Edit” to open it in Notepad.
3.Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Through the Group Policy
We studied the methods to Disable Cortana in Windows 10. But disabling Cortana through group policy editor is the safest of them all.
- To open the command prompt, Press Windows + R.
- Now enter type gpedit.msc in the box, and then press Enter. (If a User Account Control (UAC) window appears, select Yes to proceed).
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Now double-click Allow Cortana in the right pane.
- Click on Disabled, and then on OK.
Now close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer. (If you want to turn on Cortana in the future, follow the steps above, but set the Allow Cortana setting to Enabled).
1) Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Temporarily
- Enter Cortana in the Windows search box and then click on Cortana & Search Settings.
- Click on the Talk to Cortana tab and then ensure that the Hey Cortana and Keyboard shortcut switches are set to Off.
2) Steps to Prevent Cortana From Recording and Storing Your Search Habits and History
In the windows search box, enter Cortana and then click on Cortana & Search Settings.
- Next, click on the Permissions & History tab, and then scroll down the page and set all the options to OFF.
- Scroll back to the top of the page and select Manage the information Cortana can access from this device.
- Set the options to OFF.
- When you scroll down the page, click on Speech privacy settings.
- Set the Online Speech Recognition switch to Off.
- Click on the back arrow in the top-left corner of the window twice to return to the Cortana settings page, and then click on the Change what Cortana knows about me in the Cloud.
- Your Personal Information page will load in the Start panel on your screen.
- Now scroll to the bottom of the window and click on Clear.
After the above method, Cortana won’t be uninstalled in your computer system but will be stopped from gathering any of your personal data, or report information to Microsoft, or interact with you in any way.
Click all the options to ON, if you wish to use Cortana in the future.
We hope the above article helped you to Disable Cortana in Windows 10 and helped you secure your personal data.