Active 2 days ago
Open Answer 01 November 2019
Windows 10 Update Problems in 5 Easy Steps
Generally, windows update process runs in the background of all other system processes. Windows, the operating system of your machine automatically downloads all the updates from the web and installs them once you restart your system.
Sometimes, these window updates break the flow of your work and will constantly give you big and small updates on your screen. Especially with Windows 10, you can face certain problems like download getting stuck, unable to install the update, or the system goes into a restart loop. How to deal with these Window Update Problems.
Commonly, it is good to have error messages for failed updates which helps you in finding a solution to windows update problem. Here's an answer to your question which will guide you to Resolve Windows Update Problems in 5 Easy Steps.
How to Ensure Whether There is a Problem with Windows Update or Not?
Before starting any troubleshooting step, you should first ensure whether there is a problem with Windows Update or not. Like if the update refuses to install or the gets stuck into a loop then there is an update problem.
But if you are able to see a progress bar for the update installation, then there is a problem with the Wifi connection. Normally, updates do take three to four hours to download due to a temporary Internet connection. Further, if you don't see any progress bar, don't be too patient and go through the guide to Resolve Windows Update Problems in 5 Easy Steps.
Resolve Windows Update Problems in 5 Easy Steps:
Step 1 : Windows Update Troubleshooter
- This is the first simple step. Every Window system has a built-in troubleshooter which automatically detects and rectifies the Window update problems.
- To access the troubleshooter, you have to open the diagnostic file from Microsoft. You can also perform a search for Troubleshooting option in your system and select the relevant result.
- Select Fix problems with Windows Update under System and Security tab of Control Panel.
- Click Advanced link on the new screen.
- Click on Run as Administrator option and then on Next button. This will start troubleshooting and repairing the problems.
- If any problem is rectified, you can later check the detailed information about the update problems.
- Close the troubleshooter window once the process is done.
- Try to run the Windows Update again after rebooting your computer.
Step 2 : Clear Updates Download Folder
- If there occurs an interrupt during the update installation, there might be an error with the downloaded file.
- Clean the folder where all the update files are stored. With this, the Windows Update will start installing updates afresh, which can help in fixing any windows update problems.
- You have to press Windows key + R to open Run window.
- Enter C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download into the provided field and click OK to jump directly to the folder.
- Press CTRL + A for selection and delete everything which is inside the folder. Remember, not to delete the folder itself.
- Repeat the same process in Safe mode for files which are unable to remove.
- Restart your computer system and run the Windows Update again.
- If the problem still persists, scroll down the complete process to Resolve Windows Update Problems in 5 Easy Steps.
Step 3 : Disable Your Antivirus
- Ideally, antivirus programs do not interrupt the windows updates and installation. But if it does, simply disable the antivirus for that installation period. The settings to disable antivirus can be different for different antivirus programs.
Step 4 : Disconnect Drives, Disable VPNs, and More
- If you are unable to reach the exact solution, try disconnecting your media drives, like the DVD drive or SD card reader. You can find the settings to disable the respective drivers under the Hardware and Device settings of Control Panel.
- If you are seeing a specific error of kind 0x80200056 or 0x800F0922, then stop the active VPN's running in the background.
Step 5 : Use the Media Creation Tool
- If you are still unable to resolve windows update problems then try using the Media Creation Tool. This creates an installation file of Windows 10 which can be used to upgrade your operating system.
- Although this tool doesn't affect the system settings and keep them in place, you shouldn't take a risk. Just keep a backup or create a system image before proceeding with the application of this tool.